CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Writer's Cop-out

***Douglass again***

So, the day afer memorial day, I woke up very confused. I was not where I should be. The room was completely unfamiliar. Then, I felt something on my back, it was soft, but with... a spine? Out of the corner of my eye, I saw short brown hair. I started to panic. Now, I must clearify here that I think boys are completely gross. That is why I married a woman. But back to the story... My heart was racing. What was I doing in a bed with a guy?! I grimaced as I turned over. To my immense relief, it was not a boy, but a woman with short brown hair. Then I started to panic again. What was I doing in bed with a woman? As I looked around the dark room (it was very early) I saw a picture of me. I was again relieved. Where ever I was, I was supposed to be there. So, I went back to sleep.

When I woke up I thought how funny it was that I had spent ten minutes panicking about being in my own apartment and in the same bed as my cute and wonderful wife. We got ready and went to work. This is when we noticed another problem. I could remember things, but details of memories were gone, and recalling memories took about five minutes. It was at this point that everyone at work told me that I needed to see a doctor. I called the regular doctor, he was full, I called my sister's doctor - full. I called Stephanie's family doctor - full. So I went to an Instacare. They were panicking about me. They were running all over the place to rush me through. Hello!? I just was confused this morning! Well, after an EKG, bloodwork, and a UA, I was told that I was fine but that I needed a CT scan of my brain. So, Steph and I went to Salt Lake and I got a CT scan with and without contrast. I don't know if you've ever had one, but when they inject the dye, it feels like you have just wet your pants. I wasn't allowed to open my eyes, so I just took a nap. And, there was nothing wrong again! Now, I didn't write about this experience at this point because I still had to see a neurologist. He made me (weeks later) walk on my toes, touch my nose, tell him what a table is, etc. He said that I am fine. I had Transient Global Amnesia. (Which, by the way, I can now remember everything fine and in a timely manner.)

Steph and I like to watch a show called Bones. In the season finale, (Spoiler alert!) Agent Booth has amnesia. I was so disappointed! That is the biggest cop-out in television. It's the writers getting lazy! But then, maybe two weeks later, Doug is offically diagnosed with Amnesia. So, when you are watching a movie and someone has amnesia, it isn't just a cop-out. And if you wake up and don't know where you are - have fun. Steph and I now joke about it. If I forget something, I just remind people that I have amnesia.

2 comments:

Nat said...

Wow! I just can't get over the fact that you have the most incredible, somewhat random, stories to share. I get a kick out of all of them. Ha! And I feel kind of special too - I've never known anyone with amnesia before. It's kind of cool, though I'm glad all's well and you can remember things again. :-)

hoffblog said...

Hmmm. Good description--you should be a writer or something. I'm impressed that you went back to sleep in what you thought was a strange place and next to someone you didn't know. I have no idea what I would have done, but I don't think it would have been that. Yay, advencha?!?!?! I'm not so sure. Anyway, glad all is as normal as things can get for you two... :)